Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Rome

I've given up trying to write everything amazing about this place in detail - if I try, I'll never even start. So I'll try to give a brief overview of life here before I remember all the things I have to do and feel to guilty to continue.
World Cultures is the best class in the world. What other class will take you on field trips to Venice, Ravenna, and Rome? We went to Rome 2 weeks ago for 4 days, studying ancient Roman archiatecture, early Christian mosaics, the High Renaissance (Michelangelo & Raphael), and Baroque/Neo-Classicism. It was a huge overdose of awe - I couldn't think afterwards, my mind was reeling from too much art. How do you choose between Bernini's Rape of Persephone:
So real you can see his strong fingers digging into her flesh, feel her terror and despair, his bestial triumph, at the moment when they cross the border into the underworld and he knows he has her for good...
and the ceiling of Il Gesu,
where the painted angels come out of the frame onto the gilded ceiling, bursting open the roof and spilling sunlight onto the congregation inside?
How do you compare the spectacular beauty of a sunset over the city-scape of Rome:

with the ancient majesty of the ruins of the Forum?

How can I convey the wonder of that trip?

I give up.

The next week was - though it seems impossible - even better.

0 comments: