Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Project Week

Every year (except last year because of financial difficulties) UWC has a project week, –a week when all the students scatter to community service projects around the area -– Croatia, Switzerland, Bosnia, Slovenia, Austria, etc, and Italy, of course. I (and Alvaro, from Spain) organized a project to Florence, to sing in elderly homes and do presentations in the International school about UWC and issues around the world. It was wonderful. We stayed in host families for the week, and mine was perfect - the mother was German and the father Italian, so we spoke a combination of Italian (mostly) and English and German. There was a 15-year-old son too, named Carlo, who was the sweetest boy imaginable, we had a great time talking in Italian/English about school, life, religion, growing up (he showed me his toy car collection and where/how he used to play with them and lamented how hard it was getting to play like that now, somehow it didn'’t have the same magic. I could sympathize perfectly, the same had happened to me with Legos and magic princess games, and I was surprised how easily we talked about it, two teenagers who should be "too old for that". It was good for me). On my last night there, we (Carlo, his friend Charlie, and I) played hide-and-seek all around the house and had a great time, another unexpected trip into childhood.
This is them:

And this is us, except Leni, who was taking the picture:

Leni didn't spend much time with us anyway - she had different priorities. For us, the project came first ('cause it was Project week), preferred touring Florence. This led to some social difficulties, quite a bit of animosity, and a formation of 2 groups: her, and the rest of us. The climax of this difference in priorities was her laryngitis to get out of the last concert and then going around Florence all day. We found out about it the next day when our host families said, "Oh, yeah, she went out with us and was perfectly normal and healthy..."ahrg. oh well. The rest of us had a fantastic time, so I don't really care. Wednesday was Cosy's birthday, so as a surprise, we took her to Pisa:

We had so much fun, laughing all the way. Pisa was great, I didn't expect it to be awesome - it's just a big tower - but it was, the feeling of being there and seeing it for real was really cool.
And we went Uffizi, the Piti Palace, and the Academia (Mama, you missed soooo much! how could we have thought that it wasn't worth the exorbidant entrance fee? It is!) My favorite was the Piti Palace - it was so amazingly decorated, and the art there was my favorite, Neo-classical covering the ceilings.

La Primavera and the Birth of Venus were awe-some as well, but on the whole Uffizi had too many Jesus-orriented rennaissance paintings. Amazing, yes, but not quite my taste. Anyway, this is a view Uffizi - very pretty.

And David was fantastic, really. You don't truly understand what is so powerful about a block of shaped marble until you stand at his feet and look up at his troubled eyes, his relaxed but still tense posture, his almost transparent skin...
Our concerts went well, there were some really sweet moments, like when this little old nun started dancing to our songs, and when the people started singing folk songs for us... wow. But we all swore to commit suicide as soon as we came even close to that state - it was so sad, seeing them all degenerating together... I would never want to be like that.
We had a couple mishaps, like the time we arrived an hour and a half late because the place we thought was in Florence was actually in Capalle - a little town 45 minutes away, and then we got lost... I officially hate the Florentine bus system, it's so uncooperative. Unlike Prague (Ah, Prague...). Anyway.
The trip back was awful - we took a night train (2 am-7:30) but didn't reserve seats and got the wrong tickets (for youth instead of adults, apparently it's only up to 12) so we had to pay an extra 64 euros total, and slept in the corridor because people were taking up 2-3 seats to sleep. Ugh. I hate night trains.
It's so nice to be back though...I missed Duino so much. It was great to greet everyone again and hear/tell all our stories. I love this place. Life is Good!!!!

2 comments:

JAM said...

It's hard to appreciate the glory of still being alive when you are ancient and degenerating, but it is still glorious. Occasionally some children will come and sing for you, and you get to dance. It would be dreadful to commit suicide the day before that happened, and then you have many days to think about that after it happens... Dying when you are ready is a good thing. Taking your life because you are afraid of change, even slow, degenerating change, is not.
love,
yr mama

Anika said...

I don't mean commit suicide the moment I turn 80 or whatever, I mean commit suicide the moment I stop being able to think/control my body properly. (thought that might make it logistically impossible...) I know you can have a lot of fun when you're old, of course I do. But I don't want to fall apart while still living.