Thursday, October 13, 2005

Florence

I spend my 1st long weekend of my UWC career in Florence.
Great fun, many surprises.
1st of all, it was a heck of a lot of money. Wow. 130 euros for 3 days, and I was on the low end -Toni says he spent 250 - where did it all go?? Food, (gelato...aah) and sleeping and transportation. It's so different when it's your own money you're spending.
I went with Raisa, Nick, Alejandro, Artemis, Shahar, Evita, Umberto and we met other people in other groups. We all pretty much hang in the same place: around the Duomo.

It's so amazing to be walking around a city and then look down a side street to see this fantastic structure, and watch people passing by like it's nothing special... Everything there is like that: even the mundane is spectacular. That was one surprise.

My favorite surprise was how we were greeted: the first night we were there, we were met by fireworks on the river. An amazing show of lights and music, they were some of the best fireworks I've ever seen.


Another shock was how we spent our time after dark. We stayed out until 3:00 or later every night exploring Florentine nightlife. Bars, discos, we did it all. It was really fun, and strange, because I'd never encountered this kind of culture before. I'd always thought that it was somehow only in movies. Wrong. I've officially partied all night long in Florence now, and it was very entertaining. We had a train to catch at 5:30 am, so we slept in the train station:

It was a bit chilly, so we used my skirts as blankets (I love skirts) and we curled together both for warmth and so the crazyman wouldn't bother us.
He tried to offer me beer and talk to Evita, but none of us could understand him - it sounded like he was making a language up. It sounded a little like Hebrew, so Shahar had a long pretend conversation with him before we left. We all laughed superhard about it, but then again, everything's funny when you've been up all night.
(interesting, the parallel between going and returning, this is how we got to Florence:
maybe we just like sleeping.)

0 comments: