Thursday, November 10, 2005

why war?

You probably haven't heard about this, because it came out here, (but BBC managed to get it. funny, I wonder if that says anything about American media... ) but Rai, (Italian TV) broadcasted a documentary on the US army's use of white phosphorus (aka Napalm) in the battle of Fallujah against civilians.
If you're into scary sights and Italian, (I haven't had the courage to watch it yet, but my rooma has, says it's really disturbing) you can watch it.
http://www.rainews24.rai.it/ran24/inchiesta/default_02112005.asp
I find it hard to fathom...I had a difficult conversation with my roommates last night, trying to understand how people like the Americans I knew (some of them in the army) could do something like this. I can understand Nevin's friends doing cruel and seemingly insane things in war, or Samari (from Sudan) because they've been brought up in an environment conducive to that sort of thing.
but Americans? god, I'm so naive... How can people do that?

1 comments:

spiritjess said...

A little less week ago they (American media) finally told how white phosphorus was used in Iraq. I heard about it more on NPR, PBS, and the BBC than on other news stations. It almost seems like it is something that the army wants covered up, and that others do not want to admit.